About the event
Dear Peers & Colleagues,
Skin health is not just skin deep — it’s deeply connected to our psychological well-being.
We are thrilled to introduce you to the inaugural celebration of PsyDerm World Day, taking place on Saturday, November 18, 2023 and celebrated under the auspice of the APNMA, GlobalSkin and IFPA with partner societies from around the world
Psychodermatology bridges the gap between dermatology and psychiatry, fostering collaboration and knowledge exchange. Join experts, researchers, clinicians, and enthusiasts to explore how the mind influences skin health.
This day is an opportunity for dermatologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, and anyone interested in the psychology-dermatology intersection to deepen their understanding and improve patient care. We’re honored to have GlobalSkin and IFPA bringing invaluable patient perspectives to our discussions, ensuring a holistic approach to psychodermatology. Expect thought-provoking presentations, captivating discussions, and engaging workshops. Themes covered includes:
- Mental Health in Chronic Dermatoses. We will explore the intricate relationship between mental health and chronic dermatoses in this enlightening symposium. Delve into the emotional impact and therapeutic insights for conditions like acne, alopecia areata, psoriasis, and vitiligo
- Psychiatric Diseases in Dermatology. We will uncover the nexus of psychiatric diseases and dermatology at this symposium. Gain invaluable insights into the management of dermatological delusional disorders, bridging the gap between mental health and skin care
- Psychodermatology in Cosmetic Dermatology. We will unlock the secrets of the mind-skin connection at our scientific symposium on psychodermatology in cosmetic dermatology. Delve into the psychology of beauty and well-being, exploring how emotional factors influence cosmetic dermatology outcomes
- Psychodermatology around the World. We will embark on a global journey through the fascinating realm of psychodermatology at this symposium. Join us in forging a united path towards global solutions for a shared concern – the intersection of mental health and dermatology
We take immense pride in introducing the brilliant minds who will guide the scientific excellence of PsyDerm | World Day 2023:
- Prof. Mohammad Jafferany, USA, Chair of the Scientific Committee. Prof. Jafferany is a dual-trained dermatologist and psychiatrist, specializing in the captivating field of Psychodermatology. With extensive experience, international recognition and numerous publications, he employs a holistic bio-psycho-social approach to understand and treat skin and mind disorders. His is president of the Association for Psychoneurocutaneous Medicine of North America.
- Dr. Anthony Bewley, UK, is a distinguished Consultant Dermatologist at The Royal London Hospital with extensive expertise in general dermatology and a profound interest in the intricate interplay between skin and the mind. A pioneer in the field, Dr. Bewley leads a multidisciplinary team at the Royal London Hospital, recognized as the ‘BMJ Dermatology Team of the Year’ in 2017. His prolific research and authorship encompass various skin diseases, with a specialized focus on psychodermatology, inflammatory skin conditions, and skin cancer.
- Prof. Dimitre Dimitrov, UAE, has a diverse background in dermatology, including expertise in sexually transmitted diseases, general dermatology, dermato-surgery, phototherapy, and lasers. He has a teaching role as an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor at Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi, UAE, and is actively involved in the Arab Board Dermatology Residency Program at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City. His recent focus has been on psycho-cutaneous medicine, including research on stigmatization among psoriasis patients in the UAE.
- Dr. Maria-Angeliki Gkini, UK, is a distinguished Consultant Dermatologist with a rich background in international medicine, cutting-edge research, and a focus on hair disorders, inflammatory skin diseases, psychodermatology, and Artificial Intelligence.. Dr. Gkini’s accolades include prestigious awards and grants from institutions like EADV, British Association of Dermatologists and Royal College of Physicians.
- Prof. Makoto Hashiro, Japan, is a distinguished dermatologist and psychosomatic medicine expert. With over three decades of experience, he holds board certifications in dermatology and psychosomatic medicine, contributing significantly to both fields. As the President of the Japanese Society of Psychosomatic Dermatology, he continues to advance dermatological and psychosomatic research in Japan.
- Prof. John Koo, USA, a renowned dermatologist and director of the UCSF Psoriasis and Skin Treatment Center, specializes in psoriasis therapies, psychodermatology, and quality of life issues, bridging the gap between skin health and mental well-being. Dr. Koo’s extensive experience includes serving on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Prof. George Kroumpouzos, USA, a renowned dermatologist with over 25 years of research and clinical experience, is a Clinical Associate Professor at Brown University and a Board Member of the International Academy of Cosmetic Dermatology. His expertise spans procedural dermatology, gynecologic / obstetric dermatology, skin cancer, and pigmentation disorders, making him a distinguished figure in the field.
- Prof. Abdul Latheef, India, is a distinguished figure in the field of Psychodermatology. As the head of the Psychodermatology division at the Government Medical College, Calicut, India, and the former President of the Psychodermatology Association of India, Prof. Latheef brings a wealth of expertise in exploring the intriguing connections between dermatology and psychology.
- Prof. Aleksander Litus, Ukraine, a prominent Ukrainian dermatologist, and professor at the National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, is renowned for his pioneering work in derma-venereology. In 2008, he established the “Ukrainian Association of Psoriasis” and currently serves as the esteemed editor-in-chief of the medical journal “Dermatologist.”
- Dr. Nino Lortkipanidze, Georgia, is a distinguished Dermatology Professor and Head of the Dermatology Department at MediClubGeorgia. With a rich academic background, including a PhD in Medicine, she leads the Residency program at Tbilisi Medical Academy and serves as President of the Georgian Hair Research and Eastern Europe and Asia Hair Research Society, specializing in psychiatric aspects of hair disease.
- Prof. Torello Lotti, Italy, is a distinguished dermatologist and academic professional. He currently holds the position of Full Professor in the Dermatology Division at the University of Rome “Guglielmo Marconi”, Italy. Additionally, Prof. Lotti serves as the President of the World Health Academy (WHA) – Dermatology since 2013. He holds the title of Honorary Professor of Dermatology at China’s top-ranked medical university in Shenyang and has delivered keynote lectures at esteemed institutions like the New York Academy of Medicine and Boston University School of Medicine. Prof. Lotti has made significant contributions to dermatology as a former President of various dermatological societies and through his extensive publications and editorial roles in prestigious dermatology journals.
- Prof. Estela Malatesta, Argentina, is a distinguished psychiatrist, dermatologist, and internal medicine specialist. As the Coordinator of the Argentinian Society of Dermatology Psychodermatology Task Force (SAD), and the Founder of the Argentinian Society of Psychodermatology (ADEPSI), she is a driving force in the field. Prof. Malatesta’s international impact extends as a Co-Founder of the “Collaborative Group for Psychodermatology” in Canada, a member of ESDaP, and an esteemed member of APMNA.
- Dr. Ladan Mostaghimi, USA, a Professor Emerita and honorary fellow at UW Madison, is a distinguished expert in Psychocutaneous Medicine. With dual certifications in Psychiatry and Dermatology, she has led research on the psychological impacts of chronic skin conditions, specializing in sleep problems. Her Psychocutaneous Clinic continues to offer valuable educational training and workshops.
- Prof. Yuliya Ovcharenko, Ukraine, is a renowned Professor in General and Clinical Immunology and Allergology at V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukraine. Distinguished leader in trichology and hair research, she provides novel psychotrichological approaches in the management of patients with hair diseases.
- Prof. Haiping Zhang, China, is a distinguished scholar and professor at Xuanwu Hospital, Beijing, China, specializes in the profound connection between skin diseases and psychology, with a notable track record of over 60 publications and key contributions to psychodermatology literature. Dr. Zhang is the founder of the Psychodermatology Collaborative Group within the Chinese Society of Psychosomatic Medicine, and also serves as the Editor of the Journal of Clinical and Basic Psychosomatics, focusing his research on the intricate relationship between skin diseases and psychology.
Celebrated under the auspice of:
- GlobalSkin – International Alliance of Dermatology Patient Organizations. “GlobalSkin envisions a world in which people living with dermatological diseases and skin traumas can easily access the care and treatment they need, when they need it, and can live without stigmatization, persecution or economic disadvantages due to their conditions.”
- IFPA – International Federation of Psoriasis Associations. “IFPA works on behalf of 125 million people living with psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis. Through empowerment of members, global advocacy and awareness campaigns, IFPA aims to achieve a world without suffering from psoriasis.”
- CSD – Coalition of Skin Diseases Organization. “As the largest consortium of skin disease patient advocacy organizations in the United States, the efforts of the Coalition of Skin Diseases (CSD) aim to ensure that all Americans living with dermatological diseases and skin traumas receive the care they need to live healthy and productive lives.”
Organized by Psychodermatology Societies from around the World:
- APMNA – Association for Psychocutaneous medicine of North America
- ESDaP – European Society for Dermatology and Psychiatry
- JPSD – Japanese Psychosomatic Dermatology
- Chinese Psychodermatology Group
- PDAI – Psychodermatology Association of India
- ADEPS Argentina – Academia Argentina de Dermatologia Y Psiquiatria
- DKPM – German College of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy
- Psychodermatology UK
- UADV – Ukrainian Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
- UHRS – Ukranian Hair Research Society / Psychotricology Interests Group
- STDV – Tunisian Society of Dermatology and Venereology
- MEIDAM – Middle East International Dermatology & Aesthetic Medicine Association
- INDERCOS – International Dermatology & Cosmetology Congress
- SODVELON – Society of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists of Nepal
- SOMADER – Société Malgache de Dermatologie
- Mykolas Romeris University – Institute of Psychology and Centre of Experimental Psychology
Together, we will unlock new possibilities in patient care and well-being.
Prof. Mohammad Jafferany,
Organizer of the PsyDerm | World Day 2023
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Central Michigan University College of Medicine | CMU Medical Education Partners
Association for Psychocutaneous medicine of North America